Monday, April 28, 2008

CC

Since when has copying half of the western hemisphere on e-mails become acceptable business etiquette?

If there is one thing, well several things that annoy me, copying other people on an e-mail directed towards me is it.

For instance:

To: Accountant

CC: Your boss

From: Helga

Subject: Discount Rate

Could you please change the discount rate for customer XX?

Thank you,

Look, Helga, if I do not do as you request on the first try, feel free to copy my boss but, until I screw up, ask me like I am a professional, not a baby.

Then you get these back and forth emails that could be handled between two people but since the e-mails started out copying 398209820938 people the two people talking keep "replying to all".

Cut it out, I do not care, handle your stuff and keep me out of it.

If that happens to me and I am one of the two people actually involved in the discussion I will not reply to all but, all of a sudden on the reply, everyone is copied again.

I like to develop relationships with people, I like to be able to trust people. I like to be able to understand that if someone makes a mistake it is okay and they can correct it without involving their boss.

I deal with several people and I catch mistakes. I e-mail them, copying: no one, and have them fix the problem. That's how things should work. I know people appreciate that and I appreciate that when I make a mistake.

For the love of god stop copying!!!

That means you, Helga.

No comments: