Saturday, April 26, 2008

Lunch

Why does lunch bring out the inner busy body in each and every one of us. Well okay, by us I mean women.

Every day one of my co-workers, Fern, will go up the hallway and ask everyone what they are doing for lunch. Well everyone but me since she might sense I might break out a shank if she asks me.

"Are you going out?"

"Did you bring?"

Every day, without fail.

Now, I am the only male except for one of the executives in my part of the floor and I really do not want to make this a male vs. female issue but, it can not be ignored.

It is like a sewing circle, everybody has to know what the other person is doing.

Nancy will ask me all the time what I do for lunch and what I bring. I, just to be a stinker, will not tell her. Since I do not heat up anything in the microwave she has narrowed it down to sandwiches but, she always guesses tuna or turkey like those are the only two options.

For a while she would wonder where I went but somehow she found out I used to go nap in my car. That's right, she went and found out. I could not believe it, either.

I am convinced she is going to go in the frig one day and open up everyone's lunch to see what I bring. She is going to be totally let down with PB&J on wheat.

Would a dude even remotely care? The one time a guy got curious about my lunch activities was about thirteen years ago and it was in a bathroom at work. Needless to say I did not tell him what I did, either.

Well I guess it is okay that everyone is social and that everyone is friendly and wants to hang out during lunch. At least when they go out they do not take two hours. Oh, wait...

That is a whole other entry.

No comments: